Recommend a grant now from your donor-advised fund
You can now initiate a grant recommendation from your donor advised fund, or DAF, using the link below. Simply start typing in your fund provider name and the system will prompt you through the process.
IRA Charitable Rollover
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to American Humane. This is an effective way to have an immediate impact and nurture the bond between animals and humans. Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year and a married couple may give up to $200,000, if they both have IRAs.
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to American Humane.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to American Humane, so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- If you are 72 and older, the transfer of funds counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution* from your IRA.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support American Humane, download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here.
* Congress has waived the annual Required Minimum Distribution from IRA Accounts in the year 2020 as part of the CARES Act in response to COVID-19. Please consider seeking advice from your financial advisor or tax professional to understand how recent changes to laws governing retirement plans may impact you and your charitable gift.
Gifts of Securities
You can use stocks, bonds, and mutual funds that have appreciated in value to continue the protection and safety of animals. You may receive a charitable income tax deduction for the full market value of the stock (up to a maximum of 30% of your adjusted gross income) and avoid paying the capital gains tax on any increase in the value of the stock.
Gifts of Property
You can give gifts of property, including residential or commercial real estate, cars, boats, airplanes, artwork, jewelry, or other assets. Gifts like these are generally tax deductible in the same way as gifts of cash. You can also attach conditions to the gift, such as the provision to live in your personal residence during your lifetime.
A donation of cash is the most direct way to support American Humane. You benefit from a charitable tax credit while you stand for a more compassionate world and protection of animals, setting them up for a lifetime of success. You can make your gift online with our Donate Now form or by sending a check or money order by mail to:
American Humane Association
1400 16th Street NW, Suite 360
Washington, DC 20036
Memorial or Tribute Gift
When you give a memorial or tribute gift for American Humane to honor someone special, you’re expressing your love, admiration, and gratitude in one of the most meaningful ways there is. Your gift will honor your loved one, create a lasting tribute, and make a difference in the lives of animals, who are in tremendous need, for years to come.